When Thunder Roars...
Tis the season for potentially damaging thunder and lightning storms in the WNY area. During these storms it is important to follow proper safety precautions to keep you and your family safe. According to Ready.gov, here are some helpful tips on what you should do during a thunder storm:
- When thunder roars, go indoors. A sturdy building is the safest place to be.
- Pay attention to weather reports and warnings of thunderstorms. Be ready to change plans if need be to somewhere indoors. Always have a backup plan.
- If inside, avoid using running water or landline phones. Electricity can run through plumbing phone lines.
- Unplug appliances and other electronic devices, and secure outdoor furniture.
- If boating or swimming, get to shore immediately and seek shelter in a sturdy building or vehicle.
- Avoid flooded roadways. Turn around, don’t drown! As little as six inches of moving water can knock you down. One foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
Take the time to review these helpful tips, and stay safe this summer season. Also, thunder and lightning storms can be potentially dangerous to your home too. If your home is damaged in a thunder or lightning storm and suffers water damage as a result, call the experts at SERVPRO of West Seneca/Lancaster to come in, clean it up and make it, “Like it never even happened." Our office can be reached 24/7 at (716) 674-1103.